Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Froged it

German Stocking after being frogged and reknit.

I couldn't stand the cuff of the German Stocking being so floppy. So I frogged it. I am now at about 3-3.5 inches. I've been thinking about my knitting alot lately. As I was contemplating frogging the sock I kept asking myself why it was bothering me so much to frog it. Was it the time I had spent? Was it just that it was messed up? What? I started wondering, am I a project knitter or a process knitter? Is it only about getting the project done or is it about the process itself that I enjoy? I don't know. I do know that typically when I am knitting something, I am always wondering if it is going to fit or look good. I have had so many projects that have just looked like crap, or just fit weird. I know that in the past my mistake was just jumping right in and not even doing a swatch or looking over the pattern and schematics. I think that these previous blotches on my knitting resume are probably why I am so anxious about finishing and trying on. I have gotten to a point in my knitting were I know enough that I can control to an extent the final outcome. When I make a mistake I am more likely to frog back and fix it.
So, back to the question. Project or Process? At this point I am going to be honest and say that I am a project knitter who is going to make an effort to enjoy the process. No more words like boring and phrases like "pain in the ass" are going to be used. It is about the process. It is about the relaxation not the anxiety. If it doesn't turn out, that gives another opportunity to enjoy the yarn running through my fingers or the needles clicking away without having to spend any money. I think I got caught up in the "how fast can I knit this?" not "how well can I knit this?".

No comments: