Tuesday, September 9, 2008

fiber comparisons

Received the batt I ordered from Loop.etsy. Wow. I mean WOW!

So I thought I would write about what I have learned so far about the 3 different rovings I've worked with.

Disclaimer: I have only spun 3 fibers and don't have a lot of experience with roving. But these are my observations so far.

BFL: Seems to be a nice all purpose roving. Took dyes fairly nicely and considering it was my first try at spinning it seemed forgiving and easy to work with. The yarn created was soft has a nice texture. It also didn't shed a lot during the spinning process. I would use this fiber for socks.

Merino/Tencel blend: So soft and silky. I'm glad I didn't try this first. I really had to get used to the slipperiness of it. Took dye very well but due to the tencel some fibers didn't hold as much dye. That is fine though, it makes a nice effect. This fiber also didn't shed much at all. The yarn created is nice and silky and I don't think it will be a fiber I would use for socks.

100% Bamboo: Not done with this spin. But so far it is much more different then I thought it would be. This is a very grippy fiber. But that is not a bad thing. It helps when considering that I am new and it has allowed me to get finer yarn. The spun fiber holds the twist very well. It does shed a lot in the spinning process. Which is fine, just have to use a lint roller. The yarn has fibers sticking out all over. I don't know how I feel about this. I could be my fault. Cope it up to inexperience. It may be a something that happens with bamboo. I don't know. I am concerned that the fibers will itch. I do love the idea that it is more eco friendly and also Florida friendly.

No comments: