Wednesday, February 11, 2009


I think I got it. I think I got my technique for dyeing. Last year at a LYS I found a skein of Araucania sock yarn. Woah! I fell in LUV. I love the marbleized look to the yarn. Not that I don't love the stripy type yarn, but this I LUV. So at the time I set out to figure out how to recreate that myself. I first looked for tutorials but was only able to find the stripy or color block type colorways. So I set out to experiment with how I thought this would be created. After a couple of tries I gave up. I just wasn't getting it. The results were not bad, but it was not the look I wanted. And the process that got me the closest to the look I was going for took 4EVER. So I stopped trying and went on to dyeing roving. I truly enjoy dyeing roving but that marbled effect was looming over my head. I had to figure this out. Well, last week I was playing with using dry dye crystals. And through a process of trial and error I have found it. I found a way to recreate the look I LUV. It may not be how others do it and it may not be how Araucania does it. And my yarn doesn't look exactly like their yarn, but I'm in LUV with the results. Watching the colors blend and meld to become something you didn't expect it amazing to me. The simple know. And the process didn't take near as long as the original tries. It took a year of brainstorming and contemplating to finally get what I wanted.

1 comment:

Brianna said...

Looks gorgeous, J. :)